- Computer Monitors
LCD Vs LED Display Computer Monitors
Display or Monitor is a primary output device for a computer system. There are many technologies developed in display system since invention of Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) by J. J. Thomson. Two technologies are now popular in the market and provided an acceleration to the development of smart monitoring system. These are LCD and LED. Both of these technologies reduced the size of the monitor with respect to conventional CRT displays.
LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display depending on Liquid Crystal technology, introduced by Friedrich Reinitzer in 1888 ,and in 2007, achieved each and every corner of TV and display market by kicking out the conventional CRT displays.
- Slim and Compact: As, LCD displays do not use any Cathode Ray Tube, its size is nearly 20-30 times compact than CRT displays. Also, SMT (Surface Mounting Technology) based micro components and ICs (Integrated Circuits) had reduced its size and weight dramatically.
- Power Efficient: CRT needs a large amount of power to operate as it fully depends on the emission of electrons from cathode. In addition, hitting of electrons on the front display will produce a large amount of power loss in the form of heat. Heating of CRT also increases the chances of burning, if it is not exposed to ambient efficiently.
- Negligible distortions: LCD does not produce any distortions in producing the picture on the display, due to use of Digital Processing ICs. Unlike CRT displays, LCD does not contain any highly temperature or humidity sensitive device, hence it can operate in most changing environment.
LED is an abbreviation standing for Light Emitting Diodes. This display uses an array of multicolored LEDs to display a picture. LEDs can be conventional or SMT based. Use of SMT has made LED monitor ultimately flat and slim. Operating principle of these types of displays can be stated as, multicolored LEDs emit a color (generally Red, Green or Blue) depending on its input voltage, which is provided by Digital Processor. Most widely used application of LED display is 3D vision, created by the cube of LEDs.
- Use of LEDs lifts all the restrictions coming in the path of projecting a picture on the LED display. Light Emitted by an LED can be seen from any corner of the visual angle. This fact provides largest Visual Angle to LED display.
- Unlike LCD, array of pixels can be directly co-related to an array of Surface Mounted LEDs. So, there is no question of slow response, as LEDs are directly controlled by DSP (Digital Signal Processor), so no Blurred picture or no Black shadow ever arises in fast motion pictures.
- Most exciting feature of LED is its 3D displaying mode. It displays High Definition 3D motion picture in a mind-blowing quality.